Last Updated August 18, 2020
2. PERSONAL INFORMATION WE COLLECT AND HOW WE USE IT
We collect one or more data types in the following categories of personal information:
- Identifiers such as a real name, alias, postal address, unique personal identifier, online identifier, Internet Protocol address, email address, account name, social security number, driver’s license number, passport number, or other similar identifiers.
- Any categories of personal data such as name, signature, social security number, physical characteristics or description, address, telephone number, passport number, driver’s license or state identification card number, insurance policy number, education, employment, employment history, bank account number, credit card number, debit card number, or any other financial information, medical information, or health insurance information.
- Commercial information, including records of personal property, products or services purchased, obtained, or considered, or other purchasing or consuming histories or tendencies.
- Internet or other electronic network activity information, including, but not limited to, browsing history, search history, and information regarding a consumer’s interaction with an Internet Web site, application, or advertisement.
- Inferences drawn from any of the foregoing information identified to create a profile about a consumer.
We may collect, use, or share this information for the following purposes:
- to comply with local, state, and federal laws and to protect the security of your transactions;
- to investigate your claim and to communicate with you;
- to provide customer service;
- to administer the Speedy Rewards® program, process your rewards, and communicate offers to you from our trusted third-party partners;
- when we are required to do so in order to comply with valid legal process such as search warrants, subpoenas or court orders;
- to create special Speedy Rewards offers tailored to you;
- to comply with applicable law or regulatory requirements;
- to protect Speedway against error, fraud, property damage, and theft;
- for audit purposes;
- when necessary during an emergency situation or where required to protect your safety or the safety of others, including our employees; and
- to communicate with you regarding any of the above purposes.
We do not sell personal information of customers (including minors under 16 years of age), and we do not share personal information with third parties. Any data that we share with third parties is anonymized or aggregated to remove personal information.
In particular, we collect the following types of information from our website visitors, customers, Speedy Rewards Members, employees, applicants, and contractors:
A. Speedway’s Customers:
For certain products sold at Speedway stores, such as tobacco and alcohol products, we are legally required to validate your date of birth, which requires us to scan your driver’s license or other government issued identification. Scanning your driver’s license provides us with your name, date of birth, address, and driver’s license number. We also collect certain personal information such as name, address, driver’s license number, and telephone number for certain money order and gift card transactions. Lastly, we may require you to enter your zip code when you are paying for fuel at the pump using a credit card or debit card in order to safeguard your transaction.
We collect and use this personal information in order to comply with local, state, and federal laws and to protect the security of your transactions.
B. Speedy Rewards Mall Customers and Speedy Café Customers:
We work with third-party partners to complete and process customer orders on Speedy Rewards Mall and on Speedy Café. In order to process your transaction, and to make sure that the products that you order are correctly shipped, our third-party partners require certain personal information from you. Specifically, for Speedy Rewards Mall, you are required to create an account with our third-party partner, which requires your name, address, method of payment information, telephone number and email address. And for Speedy Café, which is available in select markets, you are required to provide our third-party partner with your first name, last name, email, telephone number, and Speedy Rewards number to process your order, and if you are paying online, your method of payment information.
This personal information is used by Speedway and its third-party partners to process your transaction, including shipping products to you. In addition, if you’ve set up an account with our third-party partner to process your Speedy Rewards’ Mall purchases, you may receive marketing offers from our third-party partner.
If you’ve set up an account with Speedy Rewards’ Mall and/or with Speedway Café and you would like for Speedway to delete your account(s), please call us at 1-800-643-1948. Please be aware, however, that by deleting your account(s), Speedway and our third-party partners will not be able to process future Speedway Mall or Speedy Café orders unless you set up a new account.
C. Customer Service Inquiries:
Our Customer Service Team collects personal information in order to assist you with your questions and claims. By way of example, if you call our Customer Service Team to discuss a website question, customer compliment or complaint, or to discuss a recent transaction at a Speedway store, our Customer Service Team may ask for and collect certain personal information, such as your first and last name, address, telephone number, email address, and purchase history. Alternatively, if you call our Customer Service Team to report a claim for personal injury or property damage, we may ask for and collect certain personal information from you in order to investigate your claim and to communicate with you, including, but not limited to, your first and last name, address, telephone number, email address, and as applicable, details of the alleged injury or damage, medical information, records, and bills, claim documentation, vehicle ownership and registration, and driver’s license information. Lastly, if you call our Customer Service Team for help with www.Speedway.com or our mobile app, our Customer Service team may collect your contact information, device type, operating system, browser version, and diagnostic details in order to help answer and resolve your questions.
D. Speedy Rewards Members:
Speedway is the owner and operator of the Speedy Rewards program. Enrolling in Speedy Rewards is free and completely voluntary. You can opt in to Speedy Rewards by enrolling online here. Enrolling requires consenting to the Speedy Rewards Terms & Conditions and verifying that you are at least 13 years of age. When you enroll in Speedy Rewards, you will be asked to provide certain personal information to us, including your first name, email address, a passcode, either your Speedy Rewards number or alternate ten digit phone number. We use this personal information to register you into the Speedy Rewards program and to administer the Speedy Rewards program, process your rewards, and communicate offers to you from our trusted third-party partners. When you enroll with Speedy Rewards, you may also voluntarily provide us with your email address if you would like to receive Speedy Rewards offers via email. You also have the ability to provide Speedy Rewards with additional information about yourself when you enroll, such as your address, phone number, date of birth, and three security questions, but providing this additional personal information to us is not required for you to become or remain a Speedy Rewards Member.
We may also present a short survey after enrollment asking about your household’s consumer activities and preferences. This information helps us create special Speedy Rewards offers tailored to you. Filling out this survey is completely voluntary on your part. From time to time, we may ask you to supply other information about your household’s consumer interests. This, too, is voluntary. Your decision not to participate in a Speedy Rewards survey or questionnaire will never affect your ability to use the Speedy Rewards Card to collect points, or to redeem them for rewards.
We do not sell any of the personal information that we collect, and we only provide aggregated and anonymized data to our third-party partners in order to enhance our Speedy Rewards Members’ customer experience.
As a Speedy Rewards Member, you may opt in to receive various offers and programs from Speedway and our third-party partners. Please know that your participation in these offers and programs is always voluntary and requires you to affirmatively “opt in” to participate.
In addition, some offers and programs, such as product rebates, and certain Speedy Rewards sweepstakes, require Speedy Rewards Members to provide personal information directly to our trusted third-party partners, such as your first and last name, telephone number, address, and email address. Providing this personal information to our third-party partners is entirely voluntary. We do not control the privacy practices of those third parties, and we encourage you to read the privacy policies of those third parties.
You can change your decision to participate in a Speedy Rewards offer or program at any time, and you can also decide to terminate your membership in Speedy Rewards at any time. These changes, or the deletion of your membership, can be done by logging into your Speedy Rewards account. Alternatively, you can call us at 1-800-643-1948. Please be aware, however, that by deleting your Speedy Rewards Membership, you will lose all of your Speedy Rewards points. In addition, we and our third-party partners will not be able to provide you with opportunities to earn Speedy Rewards points unless you re-enroll in Speedy Rewards. Lastly, if you opt-out of Speedy Rewards offers and programs or delete your Speedy Rewards account, you may still receive offers from the third-party partners that you’ve registered with, but you will not be able to earn Speedy Rewards points unless you re-enroll in Speedy Rewards.
To the extent that the Speedy Rewards program is a financial incentive or price or service difference under California law, we do not generally assign a value to the personal information you provide as part of the Speedy Rewards program, and any attempt to calculate that value is imprecise and dependent on a number of factors that can vary among individuals and across time. We provide a good-faith estimate of that value below for California residents only. The method we have used to estimate that value relies on the incremental margin value earned from a registered Speedy Rewards program member who provides his or her personal information to Speedway as part of the program and an unregistered card member who does not provide any personal information as part of the Speedy Rewards program. Based on this methodology, and our good-faith efforts, we estimate the value of a California resident’s personal information to be $18 per month or $216 per year. We make no representation regarding the value of any individual’s personal information in any other context.
E. Speedway’s Employees, Applicants, and Contractors:
We collect and maintain personal information of those individuals who seek to be, are, or were employed by us, and of those individuals who are, or will, be temporary or long-term contractors of ours. This personal information includes, but is not limited to your:
- first and last name, email address, telephone number, physical address, educational history, date of birth;
- beneficiary and emergency contact information;
- social security number, check deposit information;
- references, photographs and video, letters of offer and acceptance of employment;
- payroll information, wage and benefit information;
- forms relating to the application for, or changes to, employee health and welfare benefits, including, but not limited to medical and dental care, and short and long term disability and employment history; and
- your children’s and partner/spouse’s (if any) personal information.
We collect and maintain the personal information for the following purposes:
- determining eligibility for initial employment, including the verification of references and qualifications;
- administering pay and benefits, including to employee’s children and partner/spouse (if any);
- processing employee work-related claims (e.g. worker compensation and insurance claims);
- establishing training and/or development requirements;
- conducting performance reviews and determining performance requirements;
- travel and expenses reimbursement;
- health and safety and occupational health;
- audit and security compliance,
- assessing qualifications for a particular job or task;
- gathering evidence for disciplinary action, or termination;
- establishing a contact point in the event of an emergency (such as next of kin);
- complying with applicable labor or employment rules, regulations, and statutes;
- compiling directories;
- ensuring the security of company information; and
- for such other purposes as are reasonably required by Speedway.
F. Collection of Personal Information from Website Visitors:
We collect information in aggregate form to track data such as the total number of visits to our website, the number of visitors to each page of our website, and the domain names of our website visitors’ internet service providers. We use this information, which remains in aggregate form, to understand how our visitors use our website and to help improve the website and visitor experience. That information may include:
- Your IP address
- Your device identifier
- Your internet-service provider’s name
- Browser type and language
- Operating system
- Session identification number
- Search terms, search results
- Online browsing data or “clickstream data” (e.g., date and time of access to the Site, referring website address, pages viewed, features used, links clicked, and other actions you take in connection with the website)
We may collect this information directly from your browser interacting with our website. We may also collect it through cookies and similar technologies, which typically work by placing a small file (like a text file or graphic) on your browser, and the file is used to identify your device and to collect information. When you revisit our website, we may recognize you by the cookie and customize your experience accordingly. Most browsers are set up to accept cookies automatically. You can deactivate the storing of cookies or adjust your browser to inform you before the cookie is stored on your computer. You can find more information about cookies and how they work at https://www.allaboutcookies.org/.
G. Collection of Personal Information from Children:
We do not knowingly collect information from children under the age of thirteen (children) without their parent’s or guardian’s consent. The parent or guardian has the right, upon request, to view the information provided by the child or to require that it be deleted. We do not knowingly provide any personally identifying information collected from children, regardless of its source, to any third party for any purpose whatsoever.
We restrict access to your personal information on a need to know basis, such as to respond to your inquiries or requests. We use technical and organizational security precautions to protect your data from manipulation, loss, destruction or access by unauthorized persons. But while we strive to keep your personal information secure, no security measures are absolute. Use caution when transmitting personal data over the Internet.
4. LINKS TO OTHER WEBSITES
5. DO NOT TRACK
7. CALIFORNIA RESIDENTS
If you are a California resident, you have the right to:
Ask us to send you the following information:
- The categories of personal information we have collected about you.
- The categories of sources from which we collected the personal information.
- Our business or commercial purpose for collecting personal information.
- The categories of third parties with whom we share personal information.
- The specific pieces of person information we have collected about you.
- Ask us to delete the personal information we have collected from you.
To exercise the rights outlined above with respect to your personal information you may call our toll free Customer Service number at 1-800-643-1948 or you may submit a request on our online web portal: https://www.speedway.com/privacy-request. We do not discriminate against California consumers who exercise their rights under the CCPA.
Under California law, your request to know or delete your information must be verifiable. This means we will need to verify your identity before processing your request. If we cannot verify your request, we will not disclose or delete any personal information in response to your request.
In order to verify your identity, we need the following when you submit a request:
- Contact information (such as name, email, phone number, and address)
- A description of one or more of your last five transactions (examples of transactions include receipt information such as store number, store address, date, time, purchase information)
- An indication of your prior contact with Speedway (such as status as Speedy Rewards member, online purchase, prior contact with customer service, or other contact)
We do not discriminate against California consumers who exercise their rights under the CCPA. Accordingly, we will not take any of the following actions because you exercised your rights under the CCPA:
- Deny you goods or services
- Charge you different prices or rates for goods or services, including through the use of discounts or other benefits or imposing penalties
- Provide a different level or quality of goods or services to you
- Suggest that you will receive a different price or rate for goods or services or a different level or quality of goods or services.
You may submit a request to know or delete through an authorized agent. To process a request from an authorized agent, we will need one of the following:
- A copy of your signed permission authorizing the agent to make the request;
- That you verify your identity directly with us; or
- Direct confirmation that you provided the agent permission to submit the request